Greetings GREAT Gateway Families!!
I hope that you and your families are enjoying your summer and building life-long memories together! Summer is such a rich time in our fabulous state of Colorado. The Gateway staff and I have been enjoying summer as well, but we have also been sneaking in a little work along the way. We have some GREAT changes coming for this school year and I wanted to give you a little sneak peak!
As you may know, our mission at Gateway Elementary is to provide all children with opportunities to elevate their skills as lifelong learners and leaders. We believe strongly that all children are to be treated as individuals with equal opportunities for instruction based on their own learning styles and needs. To support this belief and bring it alive in our building we are implementing THINK TANK time into our weekly schedule for every student PK-5th grade. In addition to art, music, and PE, students will have a 70 minute block each week devoted to their passions, their ideas, and their learning!!
The idea behind THINK TANK time is based on Google’s Genius Hour and centers around the belief that ALL people (children and adults) learn best when they are interested, invested and passionate about what they are learning. We believe—we KNOW—that THINK TANK will provide a rich learning environment where children are encouraged to take risks and solve problems.
THINK TANK participants will. . .
- Lead: students will take the lead in their own learning, sharing, presenting and collaborating
- Empower: students will be empowered to explore their passions and interests and to grow
- Achieve: students will achieve at higher levels with greater productivity through critical thinking skills, problem solving skills, creativity and innovation
- Respect: students will respect themselves, their peers, the experts, the equipment and the space
- Nurture: students’ passions will be nurtured and fanned into a fire for learning
Over the course of a quarter, a semester, and/or the year, THINK TANK participants will be guided through
- Identifying their passions and interests
- Generating their own ideas for exploring these passions
- Planning a learning experience
- Keeping track of their learning
- Sharing their learning
- Reflecting on their learning
If you are interested in more information about the idea behind THINK TANK please visit the following website: www.geniushour.com/what-is-genius–hour/. Our Parent Orientation Night on September 8, 2016, at 6:00pm will include more specific information about THINK TANK.
**Remember that registration for all students is August 8th.
I am looking forward to seeing everyone again!! If you have any questions between now and the start of school don’t hesitate to contact us, check our website, or drop by.
Ashley A. Lawson
Principal Gateway Elementary School