Gateway Elementary and Woodland Park School District Vision:
Through our physical education curriculum, students will acquire the knowledge and skills to value, appreciate, and participate in lifelong physical activity and fitness.
Physical Education is that integral part of the curriculum that, through human movement, concentrates on the development of individuals’ maximum physical potential and their related social, emotional, and intellectual growth. As a result of physical education, students are more likely to be better prepared as productive students, workers, and contributors to their communities and organizations within society. As a physical educator, I take pride in the physical education curriculum that I provide to students and the associated programs of the Woodland Park RE-2 School District.
Physical Education’s primary purpose is to assist the learner in developing:
- Total physical fitness and lasting desire to maintain it;
- Movement abilities ranging form functional life skills to those needed for successful participation in lifetime activities of their choice;
- A sense of self-worth and dignity;
- Social skills and acceptance;
- Safety awareness; and
- An appreciation and understanding of specific sports and dances, including their origins, cultural impact, and aesthetic values.
- The physically educated student will have acquired competencies applicable to lifetime activities and a desire to retain the healthy feeling associated with fitness and exercise.